house and office moving and relocationdangerous cargo transport discounthk wharehouse service



Q1. What items are taxable on import into Hong Kong and what are the items that are subjected to export tax?

A1. In general, all imports into Hong Kong are tax-free except motor vehicles for use on the road which are subject to a First Registration Tax (See "Importing a Motor Vehicle") Besides, Excise duties are levied on four types of goods irrespective of whether they are imported or locally manufactured. These goods are liquors, tobacco, hydrocarbon oil and methyl alcohol. (See "Excise Duty"). There is no tax or Excise duty on exports from Hong Kong.

Q2. How can I bring my pet dog, cat, or a live animal into Hong Kong?

A2. In Hong Kong, the import of live animals is subject to control by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department. For details, please see "Prohibited Articles - Controlled Imports".

Q3. What are the requirements of law on import/export declaration?

A3. Under the Import and Export (Registration) Regulations, every person who imports or exports any article other than an exempted article is required to lodge with the Commissioner of Customs and Excise an accurate and complete import or export declaration within 14 days after the importation or exportation of the article. Prosecution may be initiated against any person who fails to lodge the required declaration, or knowingly or recklessly lodges any declaration that is inaccurate in any material particular. For details

Q4. What are the Customs formalities for importing goods into Hong Kong?

A4. Customs control on import goods is done through inspection of documents such as manifests, and where necessary, physical examination of the goods. Physical examination is conducted on a selective basis (See "Clearance of Import Consignments"). For prohibited articles, relevant import licences, permits or certificates are required upon importation of the goods. (See "Licence and Permit Application for Prohibited Articles")

Q5. What are the declaration requirements if I bring into (import) or take out (export) of Hong Kong my personal baggage?

A5. As stipulated in Regulation 3(f) of the Import and Export (Registration) Regulations, articles fall within the condition of "personal baggage including any article which is shown to the satisfaction of the Commissioner to be imported or exported otherwise than for trade or business" are exempted from lodging import or export declaration.

Q6. How to import a vehicle for personal use?

A6. If the motor vehicle is imported by a private individual for his own use and not for sale, registration as an importer is not required. However, the importer of the motor vehicle has to file an Import Return (CED336) and a Declaration on Particulars of Motor Vehicles imported for personal use (CED336A) with the Customs and Excise Department within 30 days of the importation of the motor vehicle.

Q7. How to apply for first registration and licensing of a motor vehicle?

A7. Following the filing of Import Return (CED 336) to the Customs and Excise Department, any person applying for first registration and licensing of a motor vehicle for use on the roads of Hong Kong should submit an application in prescribed form to the Hong Kong Licensing Office of the Transport Department, its address is 3/F, United Centre, 95, Queensway, Hong Kong. Application forms are available there.

Unit 305 50 Bonham Strand Centre Hong Hong   TEL: 852-21962519 FAX: 852-34278882 CHINA: 86-20-84353817

HK Transport   HK moving   Logistics   EXPRESS CARGO   Shipping Air Cargo   Clearance Dangerous Cargo From E Call US